Sunday, April 29, 2007

primary debates

I am watching the Democratic Primary debates on MSNBC, and it's a little disheartening. So far, I wouldn't vote for one of these guys to be president of the PTA, much less the United States. And I'm wondering, almost doubtfully, whether the Republican Party has anything better.
One guy I've never heard of (fortunately) seriously just said that the United States needs to stop focusing on military and defense because it doesn't have any enemies.
Bill Richardson just said his first day in office-- first day-- he'd yank us out of Iraq.
And here comes Hillary. Who didn't really say anything, other than that the present administration is failing and that she was a Senator in 9/11.
Kucinich is saying we need to stop speaking in terms of "enemies" so that we can "really start to connect with people" which is a great personal philosophy but I'm not so sure it works for a world wrecked by dualing powers and war since Adam and Eve had kids, and is now warring with weapons that have the power to wipe an entire country off the globe.
Hillary did just give a very good response to a question about the "war on terror".
And now Kucinich is talking about how he wants to try to impeach Cheney! Because he violated the Constitution by sending us to war...?
Mike Gravel (dude I've never heard of) just said there is no hope against terrorism or drugs because both have been there "from the beginning" and so we need to devise new policies about dealing with international threats, implying that we shouldn't be focused on confronting terrorism at all. Fortunately this guy doesn't have a chance.

Sometimes I think I must just be really ignorant about politics, because it can't be possible that all of the candidates for Presidency are as stupid as I think they seem.

1 comment:

Sarah Gail said...

It's possible. I love your synopsis of the debates, especially Hilary. I was so disgusted, I turned it off. Maybe that makes me as stupid as they think we are!